Friday 3 August 2012

London MMXII







As my time in London comes to an end, I couldn't have asked for a better way to see London off (for now). I remember in 2008 while watching the Beijing Olympics, I thought to myself (which i'm sure many of you have), "are those people actually at the Olympics? How did they end up there? There's no way I would ever fly to another country just to watch a couple of matches!" 

To be honest, when I enrolled into the Dream Careers program for my internship this summer, the Olympics hadn't even crossed my mind. I was just so wrapped up with coming back to Great Britain in general that the fact that the Olympics were being held all throughout the city was the last thing I was thinking of.

Over the course of the last two months, I started seeing more rings, more GB flags, more reconstruction sites and of course, more of those...uh...Wenlock mascots. I began to immerse myself even more in the atmosphere of the nation by listening to their music, drinking their lager, and sometimes speaking with an accent in public (i know....). Last week, the games started and I don't think I have ever been more excited! I got to go to Hyde Park to see Rizzle Kicks, Katy B, The Wanted, and best of all, the lighting of the torch finale. This ceremony was the high point of my life! Until two days later when I got to watch New Zealand vs. Egypt and Brazil vs. Belarus football matches at the Manchester United Trafford Stadium. Not to be dramatic, but that was one of the best days my life. But that best day was inevitably one-upped three days later at the Horse Guards Parade where I had front row seats to watch AMAZING beach volleyball athletes from 8 different countries. Including the two, the only, Kerri Walsh and Misty May!?!!\11!!?!11t234@wekgldhfsk. Now all I'm thinking about is how I'm going to get to Brazil in 2016.

Is this real life?
xx elizabeth